Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Calling out my son.


Why do I feel like such a heel after calling out my son? 

Of course to ask the question is good, for it shows that I recognize a problem.  Usually when this happens, it’s due to a lack of sleep.  I do feel emotionally lousy.  It could also be living in the north.  We have to take vitamin a D3 supplement or we’ll be deficient (and such deficiencies do precipitate depression). 

...but I did sleep OK (at least I think I did) and I’ve been faithfully taking 5000 IU capsules of vitamin D3 for months now - nearly a year.

Of course, also, it goes without saying, when calling out anyone, as we reflect upon the incident, we see our own sinful heart and attitudes, and perhaps the fact that we aren't as perfect as we’d hope we were, indeed as we expected of our son, causes us a grief that is perhaps out of place.

I long for the day when we will sin no more - and when sin no longer will stain our various relationships.  But we live in the here & now, and right now sinful men and women must contend together in a cursed world. 

Such a dark scenario.  Is there no way out?

I say that there is - as we look to the Lord Jesus Christ.  Here we have a man, but also God, who loved us so much he willingly laid down his life for us.  Not as an example - but as a substitute for the very sinners who hated him - indeed he did this WHILE they hated him (See Rom. 5:8).

I need to remember this kind of love when I call out my son or daughter.  This means I really do call them out, but that as I do so, a compassion for them shows - so that they see the same love Christ had for me, is what drives me to call them out.

A while ago while in another ‘calling out’ session, my son called me out, “Why are you so hard on me?” and it was a good question.  At that time I had a ready answer - Because I really love him.  It is my love that drives me to care for his practices and habits - that he will not be captured by them. 

I think I know why I feel like such a heel right now…Perhaps I didn’t show enough love.  I’ll be making that correction, as soon as I am able. 

No comments:

Post a Comment