Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Continue in my trials

“But you are those who have continued with Me in My trials. And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me, that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” (Luke 22:28-30)
 
This caused me to think of John 6:66 – 69:

From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.  Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

They indeed did come to believe the truth but their understanding alone did not save them. Yet it did help them continue with him – for as Peter stated, ‘To whom shall we go’ They did not have a plan B. It was either Christ or bust. In fact, after the resurrection, but before the ascension, Peter, who had denied his Lord, thought hopelessly, ‘I am going fishing’

Why?!

Hadn't he the promise that he will be among those who will eat and drink at the table?

Wasn’t he to be one of the Twelve regents – seated upon thrones and judging the twelve tribes?

Did he cease from believing this, or no longer believe in Christ as the son of the Living God?

Of course the answer lies in his denial. He felt that he had not ‘continued with him in his trials’ abandoning Christ at the crucial time with his literal ‘trials’ before Caiaphas and the Romans. He felt it was a bust.

Yet Christ pursued him! God had a plan for this simple former fisherman.

“Peter, do you love me more than these?” “Lord you know that I love you” “Feed, tend, and care for my sheep.” (John 21:15-17)

Peter, and all of us need to remember it is not we who keep ourselves, but Christ.  “Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.” (Psa. 100:3)  Read the whole Psalm!  It's a beautiful reminder of our place in His world!

May we always remember this – Keep On Keeping On!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment