Saturday, May 3, 2014

A warning in Matthew 25:1-13

The door was shut. They had been looking and planning, but foolishly they had not planned on his delay or running out of oil.  When they had returned - the door was shut.

Yet doesn't the Lord promise to let all who call upon Him in? Why does He not open to them? Truly we learn something of the mercy and severity of the Lord. 

He must shut the door.

Verse 5, "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept."

It was not that the 5 wise virgins were better than the others in all ways - but they prepared.  All the virgins slumbered and slept.

And while the bridegroom delayed, did not the foolish have time and a-plenty to go get oil? Surely they did.  And His response is telling. In verse 12, "Truly I say to you, I do not know you"

It did not matter that they claimed to know Him. Clearly they left off from the preparation showing what kind of virgins they were.

Personal challenge: Do I feel that I am ready?  Is my lamp filled up?

Yet I cannot fall into the trap of making personal effort to earn merit.  Either I am a part of the bride, the Church, or not. As a church member, am I prepared to do whatever work is set before me?  Have I gotten lazy and sloppy?  Believers do slip up.  Sin is not totally expunged in this life.

Yet the evidence against those virgins was twofold.  Not only did they not trim their lamps to the end, Christ never knew them. When a professor is found at the last in no great sin and walking in the fellowship of his Lord, it is a proof of the Master’s care in his life.

Finally - let it be known that if the Lord had known those virgins, they would not have fallen away. They would have trimmed their lamps even until midnight.

Since the bridegroom stated, I never knew you, those virgins were without hope.  If you think, by your own wisdom, or strength, or craftiness, that you will trim your lamp in time, and to the very end - be warned!  Apart from Christ you can do nothing!

But what of those wise virgins?  Those wise virgins were not wise in their own strength, but by the strength of the Lord. 

Remember, The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Consider John 10:27, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." Also 2nd Corinthians 6:2, "For He says: “In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you. Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

No comments:

Post a Comment